Homeroom is hiring a cool, calm, and collected Front-of-House Shift Manager to support the GM and AGM in the successful running of our restaurant and To-Go locations!
Job Summary: The Floor manager is responsible for overseeing the restaurant to ensure that the shifts run smoothly, that customer service standards are met, and staff members are fulfilling their duties. The manager should support the staff to enable them to do their best, whilst also keeping the customers needs a priority.
Reports to: General Manager
Essential functions of the position:
- Supervise daily restaurant operations: Opening/Closing and counting of register, assigning breaks/ensuring breaks are taken, distributing additional tasks to staff in down time, overseeing staff are fulfilling their job duties.
- Ensure customers are receiving the best quality foods by expediting food, checking food in the window and following up with customers
- Manage restaurant recycling and waste, including box break down
- Responsible for upkeep of restaurant including displays and signage accuracy
- Working closely with customers: making a good experience better, and helping staff deal with difficult situations.
- Attend Recess and schedules meetings whenever necessary.
- Maintain a positive and friendly relationship with owners, management team and all other staff inside the restaurant and maintain communication.
- Be familiar with all procedures and policies (Homeroom Handbook, Injury & Illness Prevention Program, Weekly Training Materials, Job Descriptions and Orientation Manual). Exemplify and uphold all policies and procedures.
- Ensure deliveries are stocked in appropriate storage location, given to named addressee, or placed in office.
- Good organizational skills, with the ability to get things done and keeps composure under stressful situations.
- Strong communication skills: can be direct with staff and management in a timely manner.
- Have a strong understanding of Homeroom products: food and drinks, merchandise and services.
- Remain informed and up-to-date on restaurant offerings, products, events, services, short and long-term goals; remain current on all additional posted company and restaurant information.
- Set excellent guest service and professional work examples for all staff by regularly working on the floor and interacting with guests.
Personnel & Staff Development:
- Advise the HR manager of any staff situations or policy violations that have an adverse affect on the store’s operating performance and, or your ability to perform any of your duties in a timely manner. Record all sick call-ins and late arrivals in logbook.
- Participate in all staff trainings and educate staff members to ensure thorough product knowledge, quality control skills, acceptable speed, time management, proper aesthetics standards (how food should look and be served), excellent sanitation and safety, and exceptional customer service. Retrain as necessary.
- Assist HR manager in evaluating, adjusting and improving training systems and writing staff reviews.
- Set proper and professional tone for staff communication and demeanor.
- Cover shifts (avoiding over-time if possible) when staff call in sick.
Safety and Sanitation:
- Ensure practice of health and safety regulations - and that staff follow all safety and sanitation regulations and maintain a clean, organized work area at all times.
- Be aware of all refrigeration units in foh. Make sure temperatures are always in the proper range and advise a manager when otherwise.
- Must be aware of the environment at all times, people coming in and out of the restaurant. Assess customers and protect company assets at all times including in-house, customer and vendor theft. (Do NOT put yourself in danger at any time).
- Ensure intoxicated customers are safe before seating and ensure no intoxicated customer is served alcoholic beverages.
- Assess any threatening situations and take over from staff immediately.
- Keep service areas (displays, backstock, underneath POS, etc.) clean and organized.
- Constantly monitor stock of supplies (pens, guest checks, menus, etc.) and advise ordering manager when supply is low on any item.
- Ensure proper stocking and storage of rags (clean and dirty)
- If equipment breaks that you are unable to resolve in person (ie. sink repairs, plumbing, refrigeration issues), please inform your manager.
- Inform manager when any plumber, electrician or refrigeration service is being performed on site – they need to ensure work is carried out properly and that payment is made.
Minimum experience required: 2-5 years junior management experience, preferably in quick-serve and/or restaurant setting. Proficient in Mac OS; MS Office Suite; Gmail and/or Outlook email platforms, and other ordering/restaurant systems. Must be at least 18 years of age.
Minimum education (or substitute experience) required: High school graduate or equivalent; food safety manager certification; harassment prevention training.
Physical job description:
- Occasional - stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, lifting, grasping
- Frequent - standing, walking, talking, feeling, hearing, speaking, working in close quarters
- Subject to outside environmental conditions while moving between restaurant and To-Go, and while at outside tables
- Subject to noise in kitchen, and from music system and guests
- We celebrate a women-owned, racially- and gender-diverse work environment
- Competitive hourly wage plus service charge pool, and great work hours: 30-35 hours/week!
- Medical benefits after 60 days: Homeroom pays 50% of the employee-only premium cost of the medical plan you choose
- One week of paid vacation per year, accruing after 90 days
- Flexible Spending Account available after 60 days
- Pre-tax commuter benefits option for public transportation and parking
- Free daily shift meal from our awesome menu
- Stellar training program and room for growth
- Genuinely fun, positive, and upbeat environment
- Come as you are – unique personalities are welcome
We strongly encourage ethnic Minorities, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, + formerly incarcerated to confidently apply.
Little Mac LLC, DBA Homeroom, provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of a person's actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, weight, or height.